We all certainly learned quite a lot in 2020.
- Lesson #1: When you’re on Zoom, whatever is visible behind your head makes a far greater impression than what comes out of your mouth.
- Lesson #2: Zoom and its rivals, while terrific, are not a meaningful substitute for meeting someone in the real world, face-to-face. They just aren’t.
And that’s the reason we’re extremely excited to announce that we will be holding our annual event, IndEx 2021, later this year in Miami Beach.
Our last IndEx, held in Miami Beach in April 2019, was about as good as it can conceivably get for a launch event. It attracted investors, operators, technology companies and providers of other services. Our expert guest speakers discussed the future of electric vehicles, the impact of automation, the future of labor and the vulnerability of supply chains — just to name a few of the topics that turned out to be particularly prescient. Equally important, our attendees capitalized on the many networking opportunities we provided and encouraged.
We were preparing for IndEx 2020 when COVID-19 set in and thus we postponed the event. But now, thanks to the scientific genius and manufacturing prowess of Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson, the nation is starting to turn the corner toward better, safer days. As such, we’re excited to announce that IndEx 2021 will be held December 14-15, once again in Miami Beach.
If anything, the experience of the past year has confirmed the assumptions we had when we started Industrial Exchange three years ago. Namely, manufacturing is strategically important, technology is critical in enhancing manufacturing’s muscle, and the pressure on industrial companies and their owners for multi-dimensional performance is growing.
In place of an event during the pandemic, and in an attempt to continue to meet the needs of the industrial middle market community, Industrial Exchange focused on something new. We decided to recreate as closely as possible digital versions of the deep networking and connectivity attendees enjoyed at the real-world IndEx. To that end, we launched an industrials-focused expert network that helps those with highly specific needs meet providers with equally specific solutions. We will continue to offer that service because it has proven to be very effective and efficient.
But there is no getting away from the fact that even very focused and successful digital meeting opportunities are not the equivalent of real, live face-to-face gatherings. Just as any parent can attest that a Zoom class doesn’t provide a child with the same richness of experience as real school, digital events are shadows of live gatherings. And the key difference is this — they lack the element of serendipity.
While the unplanned bumping into someone or something you’ve never encountered before may sound inconsequential or merely incidental, Yuval Levin, a director at the American Enterprise Institute, believes serendipitous learning “is among the most valuable benefits of living in society.” In his new book, “A Time to Build: From Family and Community to Congress and the Campus, How Recommitting to Our Institutions Can Revive the American Dream,” he defines such learning as “finding ourselves exposed to knowledge or opinion or wisdom or beauty that we did not seek out and would never have known to expect.”
For the industrial investors and operators we serve, the importance of serendipitous learning — and the value of new personal connections made through serendipitous interactions — are what make the IndEx experience unique. And, reflecting the changes of the past year and to prepare for the new world ahead, we’ve modified the event to provide you with even greater value.
Specifically, here’s what’s new about IndEx 2021 and what the changes mean for you:
- A more focused event. Your time is more valuable than ever, so we’re also programming the event in line with the over 25 specific industrial sectors we serve. You’ll find a useful mix of general and specialized content.
- Enhanced networking opportunities. To help you make your IndEx 2021 experience more valuable, we’ll be asking attendees what they’d specifically like to come away with. We’ll then help them connect with those who can provide that value. Call it AI-assisted serendipity in addition to the traditional kind.
- A greater focus on tech solutions. As we have from the start, we believe that industrial value creation increasingly is tech-powered. Since COVID-19 has dramatically accelerated tech changes, a prime focus of IndEx 2021 will be acquainting the industrial middle market with new technology solutions. In addition, throughout the year in a variety of formats, Industrial Exchange will be working to become the industrial middle market’s go-to-resource for tech enablement. We’ll be connecting solution seekers and solution providers in new, innovative, more efficient ways.
- ESG content. Climate change, diversity and inclusion, and governance are among the issues that are on the radar of all investors and operators. Industrial Exchange is incorporating ESG insights into everything we do, including our IndEx 2021 program.
- Preparing for the future. As Industrial America transforms itself through technology, it also faces new challenges and opportunities in areas it many never have considered. As part of our mission, Industrial Exchange will be bringing these areas to the attention of its community at the event and throughout the year.
We know this has been an extraordinarily difficult period for many in the IndEx family. We are optimistic, however, that brighter days are ahead.
As we emerge from the pandemic, we’ve sharpened the focus and enhanced the value of IndEx 2021 and Industrial Exchange so you can better engage in the value creation your company demands. If Trends, Technologies and Networking are what you’re seeking, Industrial Exchange looks forward to serving you and seeing you in Miami Beach in December.
If you’ve made it this far, please pre-register here.